October 2, 2009

Foodie Friday!

We tried a new recipe this week. It was a hit so I thought I'd share them with you. I'm always looking for new recipes so I want to share my successes with you and maybe you'll enjoy them as much as we did!

Tex Mex Calzones
Delicious! I made my own crust and that turned out fabulous. It is somewhat low calorie and tasted full fat. It was like a taco pouch!
Original recipe from Sparkrecipes.com but I used homemade dough (found here), ground beef, added corn and sprinkled the top with garlic pepper and parsley flakes just before baking.

Ingredients


1 pound ground beef
1/2 c onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 t ground cumin
1 1/2 t dark chili powder
1/2 c red bell pepper, finely chopped
3/4 c salsa verde
1/2 c corn
1 batch basic pizza dough
1 c Mexican blend cheese, shredded
1 egg, beaten
garlic pepper
parsley flakes

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Adjust oven rack to upper third of the oven.

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground beef and cook 5 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add onion and garlic; continue to cook for an additional 4-5 minutes or until onions are translucent.

Add spices and cook for 1 minute to bring out the flavors in the spices. Add chopped pepper and corn; continue to cook 1 minute.

Remove mixture from heat and stir in salsa.

Unroll dough and divide into 4 equal portions. Working with one rectangle at a time place, 1/2 cup of beef mixture on half of the dough then top with 2 tablespoons of cheese.

Using a pastry brush or fingers, brush the egg mixture on the border of the dough. Fold dough over turkey mixture and press with a fork to seal. If you prefer a crisp crust, brush some additional egg wash over the top of the calzone. Sprinkle with parsley and garlic pepper.

Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm...that looks so good! I'm definitely going to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I made this on Saturday to take to a friend's house and it was a hit! So delicious! High five on this one. It will now be a staple food at my house.

    ReplyDelete